Old July 16th 03, 11:15 PM
Allen Thomson

Default NASP final congiguration/iteration drawings

(Henry Spencer) wrote

Gregory Omelchenko wrote:

Was there some kind of finalized NASP X-30 iteration? I mean is that
flattened-nose waverider was really FINAL one?

I'm not sure that the real configuration was ever declassified.
If (dim) memory serves, that flat-nosed configuration was
supposed to be generally representative of current thinking,
nothing more -- something to show in publicity material.

Which does raise the question of why technology developed in a
somewhat long-ago failed program should still be classified. If
released, at best, it might help current CATS efforts (though I
doubt it). At worst - well, what bad things could happen from
releasing NASP technology? North Korean hypersonic bombers
swooping on Los Angeles?