Old October 29th 14, 10:25 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Some thoughts etc

In article ,
says...

Yes cos after all its got to take longer to develop the winged approach than
to use the tin can approach. I often marvel on how humans survive re entry
in the tin cans. The Soyuz looks like a blackened mess after landing most of
the time I gather, due to the ablative stuff sticking to the outside.

As for any of the private ones flying soon, Not convinced. Boiing should be
in front I'd imagine as they are part of the in crowd.

Boeing is "in front" in terms of typical government oversight
(paperwork, ground testing, and etc.). But, what capsule has Boeing
flown to orbit and back recently? How long has it been since Boeing has
had this sort of "real world" experience? Boeing has done some
building, a bit of testing, and virtually no flying of CST-100.

SpaceX is clearly in front when it comes to actually flying recoverable
capsules. In the case of SpaceX, Dragon 2 is built on the very recent,
ongoing, experience of Dragon 1. This is the sort of corporate culture
which can be called "Build a little, test a little, fly a little".
SpaceX has been doing all three with Dragon 1.

Jeff