Old April 12th 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Venus and Pleiades

TheCroW wrote:
Despite the fact that my images do not compare one bit with all the
others
here, I'll just keep on posting them ;-) Way to much fun to make and show
them ;-)

First one is a piggyback shot of Venus and the Pleiades with my FujiFilm
S5500 hybride camera. Was a conjuction tonight so I had to shoot that.

Second one is my first shot at something else then the moon, Venus or
Saturn
;-)
Shot through 130-900 Newton with 40 mm eyepiece but sadly enough I could
not
use exposures longer then 1 second. But for my first non-solar shot I
like
it myself :-)

Looks good to me.
I started in this hobby over 50 years ago. Started making my first scope
(no one could afford to buy one at the time) in 1953, finished it just in
time for the Mars opposition in 1954. That was my first target and showed
about as much detail as Venus did in your first shot, just an orange blob
but I was proud of it. Unfortunately, there were no astrophotographers in
town but me to learn from and no way to share them. I helped form the
astronomy club in 1961 so then had someone to share with.

I'm still learning and having a ball with the hobby. Had a long hiatus
for family when I didn't have much time for astrophotography but kept an
eye to the eyepiece the whole time. Now I'm retired I'm back at it full
speed ahead and about to celebrate my 1st anniversary of CCD work (April
23 was my first CCD photo night using a 6" f/4 and ST-7, M46 the target).

Rick

Well, allready saving here for another scope (I am not much of a builder).
Maybe a Celestron C8 or 9.5 ... or Meade LX90GPS 8" UHTC ... think that's
rather an upgrade in comparison with my 5.12" Newton :-)

Menno

If you are into planetary work get the 9.25" Of the one's I've seen
they are the best optically. Then you need the seeing to support it.
That's what I'm missing here more than anything the last year.

When I started there were mostly only refractors being made. Cave was
starting out but priced way beyond my range. Commercial scopes, on this
side of the ocean anyway, are far far cheaper in terms of real money
than they were when I started. Making your own was about the only
option unless you were filthy rich.

Rick