Old August 26th 20, 08:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Betelgeuse

On 2020-04-23 7:22 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
Betelgeuse luminosity is now reaching what it was at its most recent
luminosity high (March 2019) and the curve is not showing any sign of
slowing down. Still too early to be excited, but I think it is
worthwhile to monitor its luminosity.

Alain Fournier

Natch it is now passing into our daylight sky as summer approaches.
If goes supernova we might see a bright spot in the daytime sky this
summer. If it persists into next winter, THAT would be spectacular.

Let's hope if it is heading this way it holds off for a few months!
Personally I hope not. I like it they way it is....

Dave

It has now crossed the sun and has survived :-) Its luminosity is on its
way down. It should be continuing to dim for several more months (but
who knows, it isn't really following the script any more) but it has
already reached its dimmest value of the 20 years prior to November 2019
(V-magnitude over 1), though still very far from the 1.8 magnitude of
earlier this year.

It is hard to tell from the few data points available, but its current
dimming cycle seems to be even more pronounced than the previous one at
the same point in the cycle. So it might dim to more than a 1.8
magnitude this time. Who knows? I still think it is about to go super
nova. On an astronomical time scale, that is within the next 100,000
years or so.

Alain Fournier

So have you seen this article on the possibility it is dimming because
of the ejection of large amount of material that has cooled and is in
our line of sight?

Dave

Synopsis:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...6hu-story.html