Old January 24th 06, 08:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Floaters - new website simulator

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:22:34 -0800, Alexander Avtanski
wrote:

From my point of view, as a member of a technical profession that
have nothing to do with medical science, I would like to take this
chance to make a comment expressing my strong feelings in respect
to the so called "vitrectomy treatment": "Aw, yuck!!!"

Yeah. I spent 15 years designing instruments for performing
vitrectomies, and I don't want anything to do with this treatment (and
I've got bad floaters). There is a very high risk of total vision loss.
You are trying to cut a sticky, stringy, semisolid material away from
the retina, which is almost identical in consistency and strength to wet
Kleenex.

I doubt any reputable ophthalmologist would perform a vitrectomy just to
eliminate floaters, no matter how bad they were.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com