Old April 3rd 18, 08:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default NOAA VIDEO FOR YOU

David Spain wrote on Mon, 2 Apr 2018 15:22:08
-0400:

On 3/31/2018 11:01 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
I was watching the SpaceX launch of 10 more Iridium satellites yesterday
and they cut the live feed near the end of the 2nd stage's first burn,
saying something about NOAA restrictions preventing them from continuing
the broadcast. I was like WTF?

As usual, Eric Berger came through with a story on this:

NOAA VIDEO FOR YOU ?
NOAA just prevented SpaceX from showing its rocket in orbit
"SpaceX will be intentionally ending live video coverage of the 2nd
stage."
ERIC BERGER - 3/30/2018, 12:52 PM
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...-a-rocket-but-
noaa-prevented-some-of-it-from-being-shown/

NOAA's response:
http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/no...-broadcast-of-
spacex-iridium-5-launch

What's interesting to me is what if that GoPro camera is on the
satellite not the 2nd stage? Then seems like US restrictions might only
apply when the carriage is still over US airspace? How can NOAA enforce
regulations against foreign sat carriers that are already in orbit?
You'd get "good" pictures until that last sat was ejected.

Yes it's a US rocket being launched by a US corporation, but the
satellite as often as not is non-US and an orbit by definition is
outside US airspace. Seems like it then becomes treaty obligation time
to me rather than US code.

If it's on a US launcher, US code applies.

--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....