Old August 12th 09, 09:41 PM posted to sci.astro
Glen Watson

Default Movie "Knowing"

"dlzc" wrote in message
Dear Glen Watson:

On Aug 12, 12:43 pm, "Glen Watson" wrote:
The end of the 2009 movie "Knowing" shows Earth
destroyed by a solar flare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQEh5_pSbd4

Is this even remotely possible?

Ending life as we know it, yes. Very remotely. Breaking the planet
up, no, very unlikely.

I was under the impression that solar flares might
be able to knock out satellites, but that's about it.

Depends on the mass involved, and its proximity to Earth and for how
long.

David A. Smith

One of the characters in the movie wants to go deep into a cave to attempt
to survive the flare but is told that the radiation could kill up to one
mile deep.

If we had advance notice of a killer solar storm, could we create some kind
of shelter that could keep enough people and other life forms alive until it
was safe to repopulate the planet?