Old January 7th 19, 10:23 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Are Failed Stars More Common Than Stars

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 7:01:41 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 1:31:00 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 1:08:29 PM UTC-8, Herbert Glazier wrote:
Gas planets like Jupiter are what I'm thinking.Rock planets the size of Earth are rare everywhere in the universe. I have reason for this idea Bert

I think small planets like Earth were originally gas planets too. But being so close to the Sun, early solar flare-ups blew off most of the gas.

Double-A

Failed planets are almost certainly more common than stars... but Jupiter probably shouldn't be considered among them, see this page...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...d-people-call/

... where you will learn why I said that and why brown dwarfs are more properly called 'failed stars'.

Isn't it fun to learn new stuff? Never stop learning...

Classifying objects a "failed" somethings is so judgemental of you! Everything is what it is.

Double-A