Old January 7th 19, 09:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

Default Are Failed Stars More Common Than Stars

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 7:01:41 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 1:31:00 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 1:08:29 PM UTC-8, Herbert Glazier wrote:
Gas planets like Jupiter are what I'm thinking.Rock planets the size of Earth are rare everywhere in the universe. I have reason for this idea Bert

I think small planets like Earth were originally gas planets too. But being so close to the Sun, early solar flare-ups blew off most of the gas.

Double-A

Failed planets are almost certainly more common than stars... but Jupiter probably shouldn't be considered among them, see this page...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...d-people-call/

... where you will learn why I said that and why brown dwarfs are more properly called 'failed stars'.

Isn't it fun to learn new stuff? Never stop learning...

Thinking new stuff keeps me alive.I can hear myself and a good thought.Bert