Old August 20th 03, 12:50 AM
greywolf42

Default Galaxies without dark matter halos?

Joseph Lazio wrote in message ...
"g" == greywolf42 writes:

I think you'll find that there are either NO stars or O and B
stars.

I'm probably going to be sorry I asked, but why should O or B stars
have different velocities than any other stars?

g [...] But an 'O' or a 'B' star won't live long enough to match the
g general rotation of the later-type stars.

But stars with orbital periods of less than 100 years have been found
in the Galactic center. These orbital periods are so short that the
stars have no "memory" of the velocity of the gas from which they were
born.

(Of course, that raises the interesting issue that we don't quite
understand how stars could form at the very center of the Galaxy.)

It could indicate a basic flaw in the observation. What's the
reference you are using?

In any case, there are plenty of late-type stars in the Galactic
center region.

g But we can't measure them -- because they aren't luminous enough.

That's why I referred you to various papers by Sellgren and
colleagues, who have measured the integrated light from late-type
stars.

1) You merely mentioned the name Sellgren, you provided no actual
reference. The reference you *did* provide demonstrated the opposite.

2) There is no such thing as 'integrated light from late-type stars'.
Except perhaps in globular clusters (which don't need dark matter).
All 'integrated light' includes (and is almost always dominated by)
'O' and 'B' stars.

Please provide a specific reference to back up your claim.

Thanks.

greywolf42
ubi dubium ibi libertas