Old January 30th 04, 11:57 AM
don findlay

Default Meridiani outcrop

mlm wrote in message ...
Timothy Demko wrote in
:

mlm wrote:
Timothy Demko wrote

My first impression of the much-talked-about Meridiani outcrop is
that it looks like a fractured, platey basalt flow, maybe even
pahoehoe. In the upper right hand corner of the PanCam image, right

Well, today's (1/27) briefing was very enlightening! The new PanCam
images definitely show fine-scale lamination, and the rest of the
panorama shows some very nice trough cross-bedding/cross-lamination!
I'm suprised that they had Andy Knoll (a paleontologist) did the
briefing, rather than John Groetzinger (a sedimentologist). Andy did a
great job, though, of explaining the significance of cross bedding.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...20040127a.html

nicely layered, with flexural drag fold in the extreme right of the
image with axial fracture cleavage/ jointing. (middle scale image).
"Cross bedding" is drawing the longbow.