Old August 30th 03, 09:11 PM
Jim Easterbrook

Default Advice on telescope purchase

Larry wrote:

I am on a fairly limited budget, so I am happy with the price, but do you
think it's worth it? (it is also avaliable from Amazon, but it is more
expensive and less convinent)

If you can wait, then every so often the Lidl supermarket chain offers a
70mm refractor for £79. You don't get so many accessories, but they are
a bit better (e.g. you get 2 Kellner eyepieces instead of 3 lesser types
and an equatorial mount instead of an alt-az). It's still not a
brilliant scope, but it will show Saturn's rings and Jupiter's moons.

How do you feel about buying second hand? Ebay has a mix of complete
crap and good bargains. I think I've done well buying new via ebay from
dealers in the USA and Europe. UKAstroAds is another good source,
although it tends towards the high end stuff.

If you do decide to save up and spend more you'll start being faced with
choices about type of scope and mount. Ask here and you'll get more
opinions than you need. (-:
--
Jim Easterbrook http://www.easter.mersinet.co.uk/
N51.36 E0.25