Old August 30th 03, 07:13 PM
ChrisH

Default Advice on telescope purchase

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:24:55 +0100, "Larry"
wrote:

Hi

I am interested in Astronomy, and would like to purchace a telescope - at
the moment I only have a 'toy' one, which doesn't provide very good viewing.
Do you think that this is a good telecope:

660x maximum magnification - optimum usage up to 200x.
60mm objective diameter.
800mm focal length.
Interchangeable 1.25in eyepieces.
H25mm/28x, H12.5mm/64x and SR4mm/200x, 6x 24mm finderscope, 3.3x barlow
lens.
Full length aluminium tripod with Alt Azimuth mount.
Micro altitude control.
Precise rack and pinion focusing.
1.25in diagonal mirror.
Accessory tray.
Moon filter.
Solar projection screen.

It costs £80 from argos
(http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100
01&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=64081)

I am on a fairly limited budget, so I am happy with the price, but do you
think it's worth it? (it is also avaliable from Amazon, but it is more
expensive and less convinent)

Thanks,

Larry

I don't think anyone on here is going to recommend you buy this
telescope Larry. It might look impressive but this 60mm refractor will
not perform well. I wish it were possible to get a reasonable
telescope for just £80, but sadly it's not. If you don't already own
binoculars (e.g., 10x50) that would be a better buy as an introduction
to astronomy.

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk