Old July 21st 15, 09:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
LdB[_2_]

Default Video astronomy. What is the point?

On 7/21/2015 2:57 AM, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 02:46:53 UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 03:25:25 UTC+2, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 20 July 2015 10:47:36 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 23:19:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

The images are mostly horrible, compared with still camera, even with expensive video cameras. Most astronomical subjects are static, don't change in any time-frame where 1/5-1/30th second would make sense. But they do sell cameras for this.

Video cameras are the ideal choice for planetary imaging, because of
the ability to use "lucky imaging", essentially a form of
post-processed adaptive optics. Images are selected for good seeing
and stacked for high dynamic range. This approach creates the highest
possible resolution images.

Yes, I should have been more clear. I was referring to video of deepsky objects as opposed to still images.

Astronomical video cameras usually allow exposures up to 30 seconds,
while still outputting a conventional video stream. This allows the
camera to be connected to a simple monitor, with no need for an
intermediate computer. I've found this useful for public observing. At
our school observatory, we have a binocular telescope. With an
astronomical video camera on the 12" OTA, and an eyepiece on the 16"
OTA, we are able to put up a live screen image for a group, which
keeps people engaged while waiting for the eyepiece. Also, because the
video image shows more than they eye can see, it gives people a better
sense of what they're going to see at the eyepiece, which helps them
see more when they're looking.

Outreach seems to be their forte.

Even a compact digital camera focusing screen can become a video monitor as we pause to frame, focus and then "snap" objects seen through the telescope. The single frames captured become stills from the video seen via the focussing screen. The same video can be passed via a cable from the camera to a common TV screen to act as our video monitor. This is the method I used to capture Solar transits of Venus and Mercury. Even taking some quite satisfying "snaps" of the moon thanks to a massive and very forgiving equatorial mounting avoiding shaking. Compact digital cameras' lack of a simple remote shutter release is quite unforgivable IMO. The method does rather lack the "magical" images possible from using stacking with skill but is still satisfying in obtaining a record of a rare event.

I put a surveillance camera on a C11 and shot Jupiter into a VCR in 1988. Was the first time I got a record of how bad seeing conditions could be.

Video Astronomy has evolved a fair amount since the days of webcams
and security cameras. Even the term Video Astronomy has evolved. It is
often refereed to as Near Live Viewing or Electronic Viewing.

Live viewing cameras have evolved some as well. Their sensitivity and
resolution have increased considerably. Some have cooling and
unlimited exposure times to improve the viewing. Electronics "Filters"
allow on the fly processing and live stacking.

Many of the processes used by Astro Photographers are available to the
near live viewer and are applied to the view as it is being watched.

Viewing at 4K is not the same as viewing with those half inch
detectors used a few years ago.

Electronic viewing is more expensive than viewing with an eyepiece but
it is a lot less expensive than Aperture Fever. It is in fact the only
practical cure for the affliction other than the inevitable.

I use a variety of live viewing cameras on a 10" telescope and few
DSLR lenses that give me an equivalent view of telescopes that would
be impractically large and too expensive for most viewers.

With the equipment I have I can say without the slightest hesitation
that I have enjoyed viewing more in the five or so years as a Video
Astronomer than I did in fifty years viewing with an eyepiece.

That sentiment is shared by many. All you have to do is to participate
to discover that fact for yourself.

You might even take some pride in the fact that one of the most
innovative people involved in developing and building Astro Viewing
Cameras is one of your fellow countrymen.

Check things out for yourself. All it takes is a mind opened enough to
allow in a ray of sunshine.

It may even give you another excuse to insult the 'Mericans.

You have all been to this website by now but I'll include the link
just because it is one of the most popular and effective Outreach
programs found today.

http://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/

LdB