Old January 22nd 09, 11:41 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Andrew Swallow[_3_]

Default JFK's greatest achievements/Apollo (Was: Deep Apologies to everyone....)

Jack Linthicum wrote:
On Jan 22, 8:45 am, " wrote:
On Jan 22, 8:19 am, Jack Linthicum
wrote:

On Jan 22, 8:15 am, Jack Linthicum
wrote:
On Jan 22, 8:07 am, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 03:52:50 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Jack Linthicum made the phosphor on my
On Jan 21, 5:36 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:46:22 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Jack Linthicum made the phosphor on my
On Jan 21, 3:52 pm, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
"Roger Conroy" wrote:
The Apollo program ended up being just a flash in the pan, nothing of any
serious consequence followed on from it.
It was never intended to be anything but a flash in the pan - the
program lived up to Kennedy's promise. That it failed to live up to
the utterly unfounded and irrational goals attached to it ex post
facto by others is not Kennedy's fault.
D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/
Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
IIRC there were many programs which were intended to use the Saturn V
and its variants as the heavy booster, Space Shuttle being one, This
combination would have built the ISS in five launches.
There were concepts to do so, but they were hardly "programs."
Ask the people who got paid for doing them.
What would they know about it?
I get paid for doing lots of things, but that doesn't make them a
"program."
Look at the NASA budget for that period, if there is a heading for
"advanced devlopment" there is a program.
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4214/app2.html
This one even calls it the Saturn-Apollo Applications (SAA) Program
Office
http://altairvi.blogspot.com/2008/03...-summar...Hide quoted text -

yeah our country mucked up big time, the vietnam war sucked up all the
money.

if it haDNT BEEN FOR VIETNAM WE COULD OF USED A FRACTION OF THOSE
BUCKS AND GONE TO MARS

Funny how wars always seem to intervene and reduce the ability to
achieve the perfect society? You would have thought the end of the
Cold War would have brought prosperity and a caring government,
handing out medical care and creating a green environment. Instead we
got the idea of the 50% plus one election and the "on-off" switch
concept of government.

Social security spending is part of the security (= military) spending.
People normally think the opposite.

Andrew Swallow