Old July 14th 06, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
Pat Flannery

Default missing tiles

Jim Kingdon wrote:

First off, the view is from long after SRB separation as the size of
the Earth's horizon shows.
Next the venting of the tank shows that atmospheric pressure at this
point of the Shuttle's ascent was damn near zero.

???

The view is taken by the SRB's, according to the caption and the logic
of "what else could be taking the photos?".

Okay, I'd been drinking...so cut me a little slack here, would ya? :-)

Pat

The first image is quite close up, so it must be right
before/during/after SRB separation.

I'm not sure where to look up the (approximate) altitude and
atmospheric pressure at SRB separation, but I would guess "above most
of the atmosphere" which would account for the horizon and venting.