Old April 1st 15, 05:45 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

Default A retrograde Milky Way?

In article ,
"Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)" writes:
Why was the north galactic pole defined in this way? Because it
is in the northern hemisphere

While I can't cite definitive evidence, I'm sure that was the reason.

There is a specific IAU resolution defining the north pole of any
solar system body as the pole pointing north of the invariable plane
of the solar system. That's a poor definition in my opinion, but it
got a majority vote.

... so that the rotation is prograde.

The traditional astronomical word is "direct." "Prograde" is a
neologism that no true astronomer would use.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA