Old November 24th 11, 12:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

Default Plotting A New Course for NASA

On 11/24/2011 2:00 AM, Matt Wiser wrote:
"David wrote in message
I don't think SLS gives us that cheaper access to LEO that is the stated

goal
of CCDev. And maybe re-using KSC assets won't either, but who can say?

Dave

David, SLS isn't for LEO: it's for BEO missions.

None of which have been defined. Something vague about visiting NEO objects.
Using what tho? An Orion derivative that isn't even under proposal?

Orion is big, Orion is heavy, Orion today duplicates what Dragon does for for a lot more $$$.

We don't need SLS for heavy lift if we stick to the COTS course. So let's leverage that instead of trying to duplicate what that
accomplishes for a lot more $$$ in operations. But we need to know if reusing KSC assests with COTS/CCDev saves money or wastes money.

The NX proposal give us something to spend $$$ on that not only supplements the money being spent on COTS/CCDev but also give us a
BEO technology other than a very expensive to operate HLV. In other words lets spend the money in order to maximize return on
investment. I don't see SLS as that. But I'm open-minded, I could change my mind if you can give me convincing numbers.

Dave