Old May 23rd 19, 12:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA's full Artemis plan revealed: 37 launches and a lunar outpost

In article ,
says...
On 2019-05-21 22:42, Fred J. McCall wrote:

You're a bit confused. There are five LaGrange points, not just one.

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...ear-halo-orbit

Thanks.

I take it this L2's advantage is that it gets closer to the moon from
time to time, giving opportunities to have less beefier transfer/landers?

From a requirements perspective, would the actuial lander (without
transfer) be required to be able to rejoin the Gateway at any altitude,
or only when it makes a low pass (since we're talking direst ascent)

There is no real advantage to L2, IMHO. This is necessary because Orion
is simply not capable of getting to a low lunar orbit and getting back
to earth. It's too heavy and lacks the necessary delta-V to do so.

Jeff