Old November 16th 07, 08:20 AM posted to sci.space.station
Bob the Tomato[_2_]

Default Are NASA astronauts being abused at the Space Station?

Asking an astronaut to take a pic of you in your backyard is not gonna
happen.

The cameras belong to the govt. The bandwidth to get the digital info
to the ground, and the radios used to transmit that info, likewise
belong to the govt.

The astronauts can do what they want with their time off, but using
govt resources for private enterprise is out.

Plus, astro time on orbit is somewhere around $75,000 an hour. I
don't want them screwing off and taking long coffee breaks!

--
Bob the Tomato

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:20:22 -0500, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Craig Fink" wrote in message
NASA Astronauts at the Space Station deserve to be treated fairly.
Vacation time and a 40 hour work week, just like everybody else. They
should be able to do whatever they want on their off-time. Like, stare
out the window, take pictures, play the guitar, go for a walk ... maybe
even start their own business.

So how many hours per week are NASA astronauts on ISS "on the clock" so to
speak? A normal work week for me is sometimes closer to 50 hours, not
including commute times, which are really short on ISS. ;-)

And what of sailors at sea, and soldiers in the field? My work week
averaged around 80 hours underway.

But the commute was indeed short.

Yeah, but the sleeping quarters could be a bit lacking.

I recall reading a book about life on the USS Kennedy, discussed how the
guys working on the engines often never saw the sky during their tour of
duty.

I know that the last Skylab mission had a problem with the "overtime" they
were being required to work.

I think the problem was less being required to work overtime, than
overtime was required to complete the assigned work. I.E. the ground
consistently underestimated the time required to complete the jobs.

I think that's about right.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.