Old May 26th 05, 06:45 AM
David Nakamoto

Richard, it sounds like you have the same equipment, telescope-wise, that I do!
I found the Mak produces better and sharper images, thanks to the complete
absence of color dispersion. But the 5-inch f/5 refractor definitely has a
wider field of view, and I personally liked the color fringes on the brighter
stars, but that's just me. ^_^

Try both on the deep sky stuff if you can. The longer focal ratio of the Mak
will put more of a premium on tracking. And I assume you have the mounts that
came with these two telescopes; probably EQ-3 Chinese rip-offs. If so, then
tracking will be a problem on longer exposures.

If you are using the original mounts that came with the telescopes, then beware
that they might exhibit a tracking problem where some of the images the camera
attempts to stack will show streaks for stars instead of points, and unless the
software is smart enough to detect and reject the images they'll be stacked
along with the rest, blurring the final image.

Good Luck !
--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

"Richard Carlson" wrote in message

Richard, if you decide to go with this camera, keep good notes, and write
an
objective review on a weblog and let us know what you think, pro AND CON.
This is almost the only way we're going to get objective views of any
equipment, given that the manufacturers are not going to do it for obvious
reasons.

Good Luck !
--- Dave

David, Robin,

I'll keep everyone informed as I experiment more with this camera. For the
$300.00 I've spent on it, I won't expect perfection. I'm sure there will be
a learning curve also as I start to use it more. For me it's a starter in
this CCD imaging area. If I get some good results I'll be pleasantly
surprised. The two scopes as I mentioned earlier will be a 5"f/12 Mak and a
5" f/5 refractor. One will be for high magnification and the other for wide
field low power imaging. Being new to this area it will be interesting to
find out what I can accomplish.

Richard