Old May 22nd 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: me, the moon, and venus - Cherry Springs Star Party

"Starlord" wrote ...

What? No Sidewalk Astronomer out with their scopes?

You'd love Cherry Springs State Park, except it's very remote - there's
not much in north central PA except bears, elk, etc. There's not a sidewalk
within 50 miles or more! Pennsylvania has made Cherry Springs State Park an
official 'Dark Sky' location, and it's first "Astronomy Park". They have a
paid Ranger who gives astronomy programs on Saturday evenings, open to the
public for free. The visitors are allowed to walk onto the observing field,
but are told they can only look thru people's scopes if invited. I'm sure
that everyone would agree to that. They also have two domes and a roll-off
roof observatory that can be rented by the night - no scopes - just
observatories and AC power. In the fall they will be adding flush toilets
and later on a class-room and planetarium (on the other side of the road
from the main park). I'm very encouraged with what PA is doing here.
Unfortunately it's all in danger from a proposed wind farm with lighted
towers.

Clear skies,

George Normandin