Old November 22nd 03, 09:43 PM
username

Default Solar System vs. deep-sky

"Dave & Janelle" wrote in message
It's currently stormy and snowy here (USA/CO); observing is out of the
question for a while. Here's a fun topic to kick around... what type of
observing do you like better - Solar System or deep-sky?

I'm a definite Solar System observer.

In a very real way, we can divide the Universe up into two pieces: Our

Solar
System, and everything else. Or, equivalently, stuff that matters and

stuff
that doesn't.

interesting, I divide my observing into two other categories: for now I call
them static and non-static.
static: the goal of viewing the image is basically time independent, you
watch it out of curiosity, admiration, beauty etc: e.g. nebula, star
clusters, but also: moon, planets (when you watch them to just watch them).
You watch objects.
non-static: occultations, eclipsing binaries, supernovae, solar activity,
planets (when the goal is e.g. to see the mars icecap evolve, time periods
of jupiter moons etc). You witness events.

I do enjoy static observations, my main interest is non-static observations
though.