Old November 22nd 03, 08:30 PM
Ioannis

Default Solar System vs. deep-sky

Ο "BllFs6" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Hi

I actually like deep sky more....i guess because there is SOOO much to

see....

But, going along with your thought processes.....2 things almost occur to
me....both kinda depressing when I view deep sky objects...

My first thought is always.....No way in hell will mankind ever be going
THERE......

Nobody knows that, for sure. You cannot exclude an extant future
possibility, based on premises which depend on our current technology. For
all we know, the next generation might develop technology that takes
advantage of wormholes or time travel. Nobody knows for sure.

unlike at least some reasonable potential we have to vist stuff in
the solar system or the very nearest stars....

Solar system, yes. Nearby stars, hmmmm. Let me give you a typical example:
Saturn V that went to the moon, will take roughly 120,000 years to reach
alpha Centauri, and that, assuming it utilizes its initial speed throughout
the entire trip.

And the second thought that immediatly follows....well thats at least ONE

place
man will probably never screw up.....

Indeed. Because if man manages to "go there", he will probably **** up the
places, in exactly the same way he has screwed up this planet. We still have
a long way to go.

The following is fiction, but it may give you some insight on what is to
follow, before "we screw up elsewhere" :*)

http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/wr...micLadder.html

take care

Blll

--