Old October 24th 03, 04:14 AM
Caretaker

Default MSNBC: "Space station mission opposed"

James Oberg wrote:
dangerous levels, I got blah-blah about 'experienced astronauts' who could
judge for themselves how safe the station was -- as if it was going to be
left up to the flight crew to decide.

I am surprised at your reaction. In the past, it was often said that NASA
tried to micromanage every crewmember's movements down to bowel movements.
Now, deprived of their so powerful sensors, the ground managers will finally
have to rely on crewmember's intelligence and judgements.

I feel far more comfortable about crewmembers being given decision power over
whether to stay or not than have some civil servants on the ground look at
some powerpoint chart to decide to stay or not.

Now, something I don't quite get. So, the americans have lost their eyes on
crew member's bowel movements. But how much Russian equipment still functiosn
to detect anomalies in air, water and crew health ?

In a submarine, do they monitor crewmembers to the same extent that they do on
ISS ?