Old August 2nd 03, 08:29 AM
Aditya Naredi

Default measured difference in azimuth of Sun?

Thanks for your followups. Please see my comments inlined:

\(formerly\)" dlzc1.cox@net wrote:
A compass cannot do true north. It can do magnetic north, and that can be
affected by local phenomenon.
David A. Smith"

I know about that, I adjusted 19 degrees for Seattle's magnetic declination to
get true north from magnetic north.

Thomas McDonald" wrote
I think you might call a local observatory or active amateur astronomer
and ask them if their telescope pointing software is laying their telescopes
on target

would definitely try that.

Odysseus wrote in message
The first thing I'd suspect is that the sunrise positions you looked
up were just the "geometrical" azimuths. Atmospheric refraction and
other effects not included in such figures can make a very large
difference to the observed position. Moreover, I imagine that looking
north-east from Seattle the horizon is pretty mountainous; you might
do better trying to observe sunsets over the Juan de Fuca Strait.

well, I measured this at different times of the day so its not always sunrise.
Atmospheric refraction shouldn't affect this at noon (even if it does in small
degrees, it would affect altitude, not azimuth). This also means that I'm not
always looking north-east from Seattle (actually its south-west in afternoon).

Guys I really appreciate your responses. But did any of you actually try to
measure it yourself? I'm 100% sure, you'll notice this difference too. Could
you please? That's just 5 minutes out in the Sun!

Thanks,
Aditya.