Old August 19th 18, 12:50 AM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Default Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies in the universe

Dear Michael F. Stemper:

On 2018-08-18 08:00, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Astronomers identify some of the oldest galaxies
in the universe
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0816183200.htm

The fact that the ones identified are close to us
is just because we can't adequately observe faint
satellites of other galaxies, right? This article
doesn't actually imply that we occupy some special
spot where galactic formation first happened, does
it?

Correct, it does not. Our eyesight is poor. We'd have trouble seeing such things around other galaxies. The expectation is that what we see, is like what other observers in other galaxies would see, now.

David A. Smith