Old June 4th 17, 07:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

Default Spring is Galaxy Season

Indeed! Spring is galaxy season - especially (for visual observers) when there isn't a bright moon in the sky.

Your M101 image shows an impressive range of brightness levels without overly drowning out structures near the core.

An attempt at humor: It really does look like giant black holes reside at the centers of most galaxies! :-)

Sketcher,
To sketch is see.

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 4:39:05 PM UTC-6, Razzmatazz wrote:
Bad weather is finally over, and the skies have cleared here in the Midwest.

This large galaxy, M101, has a huge brightness range, which makes it a challenge to process. I once saw a Palomar glass plate of this object which showed the huge range quite well, because negative film has a non-linear response at the very bright end.

I posted this shot that I did last night as a negative. It shows the very faint extensions better than a normal image. It also brings back memories of the old film days before CCDs. Note the numerous tiny background galaxies.

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...8.jpg&caption=

AP 17" F8 Astrograph
STL11K camera
40 x 5 minute Luminance