Old March 2nd 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
robert casey

Default Saturn space art version 2

Otherwise I would
think the sky would be pretty star free on the sunlit side of Mimas with
a full Saturn in view. But then that's impossible! If you see a full
Saturn from Mimas you'd have to be on the dark side of Mimas.

In your picture we can't tell if Saturn is full phase.

Saturn is in a gibbous phase, the Sun's light about 30 degrees to the
left. So there would be sunlight at our position on Minas, but the
shadows of the "rocks" should be much more stretched out. As they are,
it's too wrong to really work in this picture. Maybe version 3.0 is in
the works... In a sense, as Saturn's center is just below the horizon,
we are standing on the "farside" (but close to the border of the
"nearside") and thus another reason to be in sunlight.

With artistic license anything's possible so its rather a moot issue
anyway. It's just that you got my brain wondering and that's dangerous.

I have to go down to the DMV and get my artistic license renewed.. :-)