Old November 5th 10, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,alt.politics
Pat Flannery

Default Secret of Nuclear Fragmentation Rocket Thrust

On 11/4/2010 5:10 PM, Damon Hill wrote:

Cool concept; I wonder what the power requirements for the magnetics
would be, and how much thrust it'd generate. Probably like an
ion drive. I recall a polomium isotope being proposed for this
application but this is the first time I actually understood how
it was supposed to work.

1 million second Isp ain't shabby.

I sure wouldn't want to be standing behind the exhaust nozzle of that
thing, considering what's going to be flying out of it.
Scott Lowther is working on a new model kit of the Vought SLAM
intercontinental nuclear-powered cruise missile at the moment BTW:
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=7587
Coolest thing he ever did is still the Orion nuclear-pulse Space Battleship:
http://fantastic-plastic.com/Project...leshipPage.htm
_love_ the destroyer gun turrets; just fukin' kneel!
I wouldn't mind having one of those about three feet long hanging from
the ceiling.

Pat