Old November 26th 03, 06:17 PM
Bruce Palmer

Default The Hubble Space Telescope...

Craig Fink wrote:

.. belongs in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, not spread across the
earth as a debris field.

Please. Get over it. I saw it launched and am very cognizant of the tremendous
achievments it has racked up. It has fulfilled its mission admirably, no matter
what eventually happens to it. You talk as if not recovering it would diminish
its accomplishments. One man's disgrace is another's way of going out in a
blaze of glory.

Was the fate of Mir or Skylab a "disgrace"? I don't think so.

If the money that would be saved could in any way speed up the eventual
deployment of the Webb ST then I say, "Hubble ST, thanks for everything.
Sayonara." In fact, I'll say that even if the money saved isn't directly poured
into the WST.

The legacy of Hubble is secure regardless of whether it's corpse is on display
or not for public gawking.

--
bp
Proud Member of the Human O-Ring Society Since 2003