Old March 30th 18, 03:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Peter Stickney[_2_]

Default Atlas 5A rocket at Canada Science and Techology Museum

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 20:05:46 -0400, Greg \(Strider\) Moore wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 07:15:57 -0400, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmplphBQO4

Enjoy.

Nice video.
I'm a little confused about the designation. I'm not aware of any Atlas
that was called an Atlas 5.
The current model (which this obviously isn't) is the Atlas V.
The early ones were Atlas A-H.

You'll have to ask the Air Force about how they designated what.
Here's its entry on Wikipedia. Hope that clears this up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65_Atlas#Survivors

Thanks. I missed that when I looked earlier.

Interesting. I'm even MORE curious now how it got its designation :-)

It's simple, really - it was hull number 5 in the initial run of the
prototype A series (X-11) Atlases, and, as a static test article, wasn't
flown.
So, it's Atlas A, #5.
16 Atlas As were built, and 8 were flown (to varying degrees of success)

--
Pete Stickney
“A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many