Old August 18th 11, 10:56 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Poutnik[_2_]

Default is the GPS myth unmythbustable?

In article ,

| Receiver distance to satellite is calculated from difference
| of received timestamps and receiver time synced to satellite clock.
|
| The relativistic time error 38 us/day
| is causing cumulative distance error 120 m /15 minutes,
| as shown in other thread.
|
| But receiver accepts this errorneous time as its own by sychronization.
| Then satellite distance calculated as
| L = c . [(receiver clock + rel. error)

I didn't know my cell phone had an atomic clock...

Sure it does not, just a quartz clock.
By receiver clock I meant receiver clock time, sorry for confusion.

It just keeps its time synced with atomic clock of satellites,
from 4 equations determining 3D coordinates and its clock error.

Otherwise it would not be able to determine satellite distance
with needed time accuracy 10 ns for 3 meters.

--
Poutnik