Old February 3rd 10, 01:32 AM posted to soc.men,sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.geo.geology
Andrew Usher

Default The metric system sucks

On Feb 2, 7:14*pm, Frogwatch wrote:

This evening, I did a calculation of the amount of charge necessary to
levitate a dust particle on thge moon. *Using SI units, I could do all
of it in my head because there is then no conversion of pounds of
force to anything else or Volts/foot to some other units.

I rather doubt you did, as your 'problem' is not well-defined.
Nevertheless, if you could do it, it would be because you have
memorised some values - specifically, Newton's and Coulomb's constants
- in SI units. If you had the same in English units it would be
equally easy.

*The old
english units are simply stupid and unnatural confusing so many people
that they never like technical subjects.

I doubt you can provide any evidence of this. If people lack the
intelligence to understand units of measure, they should not be in
technical subjects anyway.

*If we went metric,
engineering would be so much motre obvious that we would have more
American engineering students.

Sure, that's why American engineering has been declining just as
engineering has been going metric. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

*The old english system simply promotes stupidity.

Stupidity is not bothering to think for yourself but instead
regurgitating tired metric propaganda.

Did you even try to read my essay?

Andrew Usher