Old November 20th 07, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko[_2_]

Default Is NASA a US "Defence Agency"?

On Nov 20, 12:16 pm, Michael Gallagher wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:57:02 GMT, Monte Davis

wrote:
Read Thor Hogan's "Mars Wars" at

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...070031234_2007...

Thanks for the link; I looked at the abstract. I don't know if/when
I'll get to the whole thing. But it looks worth it.

For better or worse, SEI was dead for all practical purposes by
mid-1991, 18 months before Clinton took office. Sorry if that doesn't
suit your polticial preferences.

Well, the aforementioned abstract alludes to the conflict between the
Republican Bush white House and the Democratice congress. (I don't
remember if Democrats held both houses at the time, but they did hold
the House IIRC.) Bush Jr., another Republican, is the only
politician since Bush Sr. to broach the idea again. No Democrat has
been friendly to the idea. If I am wrong about that, please let me
know.

JFK had the original idea of going to the moon. Also notice that both
GOPers to which you refer come from Texas, where manned spaceflight
mission control comes from. Perhaps JFK's vision for the moon was
based upon the Cold War, but clearly The Bushs' visions are to give
tax money to Texans as their plans lack substantive details. I
seriously doubt the Bushes would care for returning to the moon if JSC
was in Massachusetts.

So based on that aspect of SEI's history, it still does not appear as
VSE will last very long if at all if a Democrat succeeds Bush.

Convenient excuse for a DOA plan. It is "blame Clinton" all over
again.

I could be wrong. Please name the Democratic presidential contendor who
has already promised to continue VSE if elected. Meanwhile, I will go
and not hold my breath.

Maybe because Bush isn't really commited to it? If you can find a
Texas Democrat running for the presidency, then you might have your
person.