Old November 20th 07, 05:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default Is NASA a US "Defence Agency"?

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:16:53 -0500, in a place far, far away, Michael
Gallagher made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:57:02 GMT, Monte Davis
wrote:

Read Thor Hogan's "Mars Wars" at

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2007032394.pdf

Thanks for the link; I looked at the abstract. I don't know if/when
I'll get to the whole thing. But it looks worth it.

For better or worse, SEI was dead for all practical purposes by
mid-1991, 18 months before Clinton took office. Sorry if that doesn't
suit your polticial preferences.

Well, the aforementioned abstract alludes to the conflict between the
Republican Bush white House and the Democratice congress. (I don't
remember if Democrats held both houses at the time, but they did hold
the House IIRC.)

They controlled both houses until 1994.

Bush Jr., another Republican, is the only
politician since Bush Sr. to broach the idea again.

There is no such thing as "Bush Jr." and "Bush Sr." They have
different names.

No Democrat has been friendly to the idea.

George Miller. Bill Nelson. Nick Lampson. There are others.

So based on that aspect of SEI's history, it still does not appear as
VSE will last very long if at all if a Democrat succeeds Bush. I
could be wrong. Please name the Democratic presidential contendor who
has already promised to continue VSE if elected. Meanwhile, I will go
and not hold my breath.

Hillary! is the only candidate who has a position on it. It's not
exactly a hot campaign issue.