Old November 20th 07, 06:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default Is NASA a US "Defence Agency"?

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:10:46 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Eric Chomko made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

You typed SDI, I was referring to SEI and Quayle's role in it.

It was a typo (the two keys are next to each other). I meant SEI.

A significant typo given the context of the subject. Perhaps you have
typos all the time? It would explain a lot.

No, it's relatively rare. There is zero significance other than, as I
already noted (apparently you were too stupid to read it) that they
"D" and "E" keys are adjacent.

Right, and I was pointing out other mistakes you have made that you
can't as easily toss off.

No, you weren't. You were just stupidly attempting to do so.

It appears that Quayle is not the only moron in this thread, Rand.

It only appears that way to the actual only moron in this thread. It
would have been obvious to a non-moron that I was referring to SEI,
since NASA and truly had nothing to do with SDI (though Quayle did--he
was the one who initiated the DC-X program).

Yet, Quayle was chairman of the Space Council and if you read the
section that you deleted (you ALWAYS do that when you are wrong, btw)
you will see exactly how he was connected to SEI.

I never denied that he was connected to SEI, you moron.

So, why did Truly kill SEI?

I don't know, ask him.

I was going to state that VPs are often used to implement a
president's vision of space, etc. It would appear that only Cheny was
clearly NOT picked whereas LBJ for JFK, Quayle for Bush Sr. and Gore
for Clinton actually were.

All of which has nothing to do with what killed SEI. It was Dick
Truly who did so.

Because Dan Quayle didn't know the difference between Mars and a
potato!

No, it had absolutely nothing do with with what Dan Quayle knew about
either Mars, or potatoes.

You doubt Quayle is dumb?

What I think about Dan Quayle is entirely irrelevant. He had nothing
to do with the death of SEI, unless it was to not get rid of Truly
faster.

He even sent his legislative liaison to the Hill to
lobby against it.

And Bush and Quayle let him?

How were they supposed to stop him? He got fired for it, you moron.

So that overturned SEI? His firing made SEI viable again?

No.

Or did his firing allow SEI to die?

SEI had already died by the time he got fired.

There are actual history books that have been written about this,
Eric, like this one:

http://history.nasa.gov/sp4410.pdf

You might want to crack one sometime, though the words will probably
be too big for you.