Old June 22nd 07, 04:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
GO Mavs

Default NASA - National Atmospheric and Space Administration

"kT" wrote in message
GO Mavs wrote:

I agree about that being a fault of Bush. There is no reason we need to
send men to Mars or set up a space station on the Moon.

We have learned there is a ton we can do with cameras, machines, robots,
and magnetic and inferred technology. Going as far as we can into space
should only be funded privately.

Actually, no, there is a dire need for remote sensing of the Earth from
Earth Orbit, and manned space flight for future asteroid deflection
missions, which is most easily simulated and tested in Earth orbit.

Bush clearly got the destinations wrong (Ceres, Phobos and Deimos, and the
asteroids immediately come to mind), the reason for doing it wrong,
(manned space exploration is meaningless, protecting the planet Earth
makes far more sense) and the cost (which is also irrelevant now that Bush
has effectively bankrupted US). Americans can do better than that.

I have no problem with manned space flight. I am talking about going on a
journey through the solar system or at least Mars with manned space flight.