Old October 13th 08, 03:11 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.chem,sci.physics,sci.geo.geology
brad

Default Which says nothing about the Mantle You really are an idiot

On Oct 13, 9:25*am, don findlay wrote:
Number Eleven - GPEMC! wrote:

"oriel36" wrote in message
[SNIP]

1. Convection cells are not assumed to be geostationary, and what we know of
their motion is what we measure along transform faults.

And what motion is that, now? *What we do 'know' is that beyond the
ridge offsets the 'cells' (i.e. the ocean floor as a whole) all move
as one, i.e., that there is only one cell - the Pacific.

What we do know is that the dominant spreading center (in terms of the
Pacific Plate)
is the MAR. Why else would the Pacific be closing from East and West ?
You are
attempting to define this argument on your terms and then asking
questions based
on insufficient initial conditions.

And if you
want to talk about The Americas (north and south) The Atlantic, Africa
and the entirety of Asia, it all moves as one too, overriding the
Pacific from opposite sides.

More evidence for the dominance of the MAR today. BTW , on an
expanding planet
why would there be any overriding at all ? The East Pacific Rise is
beneath N . America .
When do you think expansion will re- expose it ?

*So what sort of a convection cell is
that, ...where one overrides the other - on a global scale?

One (Pacific) losing its influence on the Geostructure of
the planet. Its energy has diminished .

*What by
your measure drives the oceanic one (which goes over the top) *and
what drives the oceanic one (which goes underneath)? ....because by
Plate Tectonics' measure both are driven by the so-called subducting
slab.

There is more than one theory of PT .

(You know, ... *that little subducting slab... *The whole of the
world's crust/ lithosphere, ... to a thousand kilometres depth, ..set
in motion by the cooling slab...

Set in motion by the cooling slab ? How logical is it that a smaller
mass
controls the motion of a larger one without an infusion of extra
energy ?

Your shot.

PS I'll bet you think Plate Tectonics is about thermally driven
convection, ...from the heat inside the Earth. *Well not according to
Plate Tectonics it isn't. *It's driven by the gravity-sinking motion
of the cooled 'slab' * Like the sinking Titanic drives ocean currents.

Don't attempt to set parameters and then demand compliance .
Your own ideas have many more problems you conveniently ignore.

Brad