Old July 9th 03, 01:10 PM
Scott Lowther

Default Books lunatics hate

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:

Joann Evans :

Kaido Kert wrote:

[snip]

For instance, its only me thinking that billions spent on yucca

repository
could be better invested in getting solar power sats up and operational
instead. But building nuclear waste repositories obviously makes much

more
long-term economic and environmental sense.

Not a good example. We would *still* have to deal with the existing
high-level wastes somehow, no matter what other sources of energy we
find.

I don't see what is wrong with just a big concrete structure in the middle of
Death Valley, glassify the waste and store it there.

Even better:

Crush the wastes into a fine powder. Mix at a 1:10,000 mass ratio with
concrete (and at a 1:50 mass ratio with non-radioactive powder of the
same basic elementary materials), and form into 50 cm cubes. Then cast
those cubes into the centers of 1 meter cubes of straight concrete. You
now have a large structural block of concrete with a virtually
undetectable and essentially unextractable radioactive component. Use
those bocks, in their hundreds of thousands, to build up artificial
island, dams, bridges, walls.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think
that...' is wrong. Always. It's a law of Usenet, like Godwin's."
- Jorge R. Frank, 11 Nov 2002