Old September 12th 03, 03:25 PM
Aaron Desilet

Default Is a Space Elevator more risky than the shuttle?

(E.R.) wrote in message . com...
(Aaron Desilet) wrote in message . com...
I was just curious about this whole space elevator situation. How
exactly would they get this nanotube attached from space to the
ground. Would it be dropped in a way? Or flown up?

Go here -
http://www.isr.us/Downloads/niac_pdf/contents.html - and
read chapter 4: Deployment.

flights, and assembled in orbit. The biter end is gently wafted down
from orbit to an anchor. This ribbon is capable of supporting itself,
and not much else. From the anchor climbers ascend the ribbon,
'welding' more ribbon to give the needed taper and strength. 200 or
so climbers later, you've got a cargo-bearing SE.

Warning: this summary is of course lacking detail and may be grossly
wrong on fine points.

~er

Chapter 5 but thank you that explains it very well. I will read these
websites you guys provided.