Old March 11th 04, 08:03 PM
Roger Stokes

Default Alternative to Rockets

"Mike Miller" wrote in message
om...
"George Kinley" wrote in message

2) Mass drivers/railguns/coilgun launchers. Unfortunately, the big
electromagnetic launchers that can fling a spaceship into orbit
without turning passengers to goo is really, really long, like 600-700
miles for a 3G launch.

As was pointed out in an earlier post to this web site, well designed and
packed "cargo" can withstand hundreds to thousands of gees acceleration. A
1000G electromagnetic launcher would only
be about 3 miles long. Also I seem to recall talk of a "supergun". The
astronauts could go by a small cheap rocket - I think 5 astronauts plus
short-term life support mass about one ton.