Old August 11th 03, 04:33 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Default inefficient turbo-pumps and Isp

(Greg) :

I am trying to understand some of the loss mechanisms in a modern
rocket engine.

In a staged combustion cycle rocket engine, there are losses in the
turbine that drives the turbo pump/s. The friction losses in a turbine
show up in the gas as 'reheat'. Since this heat is available at the
trust chamber, it should not effect the Isp of the engine?

I know that this is the case for regeneratively cooled engines, the heat
taken out is still in the loop. So its no loss.

Am i correct? Can you get away with a very inefficient turbo-pump?

Thanks
Greg

That is the same idea that I came up with and I see no reason why it should
not work, designing even an inefficient turbo-pump is still hard because you
still have a high speed spinning piece of metal, but my conculsion is you
don't need the tight clearances an efficient design needs, and wide range of
material can be used.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to