Old December 30th 20, 04:22 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Daniel65

Default Is the Moon Supposed to "Cartwheel"?

palsing wrote on 30/12/20 07:50:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 12:26:00 AM UTC-8, Daniel65 wrote:
palsing wrote on 29/12/20 17:48:
On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 10:25:02 PM UTC-8, Daniel65 wrote:

The Half that you see above the Eastern Horizon at "Moonrise" isn't
the same half you see above the Western Horizon at "Moonset".

What? Of course it is the same half! It is just apparently rotated
somewhat... with emphasis on the "apparently".

Not counting librations, the moon only presents one face to the
Earth.

Hmm!! I would have thought at "Moonrise" you would see the 'western'
half of the moon first, whilst, at 'Moonset' you would see the 'eastern'
half of the moon last!!

Well, actually you have it backward. The "right" side of the moon in the sky is its eastern side and the "left" side is its western side. See this labeled map...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Moon_names.jpg

Ah!! Do you see, on the jpg that you linked to, on one side they have "E
(on moon) W (in sky)" and, on the other they have "W (on moon) E (in sky)"??

I'm guessing you and I are using the opposite references!!
--
Daniel