Old November 4th 18, 07:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default Supernova event as a transition phase

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 11:16:52 PM UTC-7, RichA asked:

Is there enough material in the solar system now to have come from a star large enough to have gone supernova?

Oh, there is little doubt that our solar system was created from matter produced in supernovae, but certainly not from just one! Even the biggest star known, which might be UY Scuti, is 'only' about 1700 times bigger than Sol, but only has about 10 times the mass. The theoretical mass limit for any star is about 100 times the mass of Sol, I think.

It is almost certain that most stars are formed in large collapsing molecular clouds like M-42 (Orion Nebula) or M-8 (Lagoon Nebula) or dozens and dozens of other similar nebula, where hundreds of stars and their associated planetary systems are eventually formed within those nebulae, those 'stellar nurseries', as star clusters. In fact, the only reason we can even see these nebulae is that they are being illuminated from by the earliest stars that have formed within! These star clusters are mostly short-lived and they eventually evaporate, with the member stars dissipating until there is no longer an association at all. Our Sun was presumably born in such a cluster about 5 billion years ago, but I don't think that any of our 'brother and sister' stars have been positively identified.

In any case, the remnants of a single supernova could never condense to form a single star, that violent end sends its stellar material far and wide in every direction, leaving behind either a neutron star or a black hole, depending on the star's initial mass. The molecular cloud from which Sol condensed was made of matter from many, many supernovae, all mixed up, along with a tremendous amount of primordial hydrogen, into a much bigger object.

To suggest that our Sun is a leftover nucleus of a former supernova is quite an ignorant claim, for anyone can simply pick up a book about stellar evolution and learn the basics in a short time and not have to resort to such wild speculation.

Not surprisingly, it is a lot more complicated than I have just outlined, but I believe I have presented the basic facts correctly. The concept is pretty easy to grasp... for most of us.