Old November 28th 06, 11:12 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

Default Improving Navigation

John Stoffel wrote:

"Derek" == Derek Lyons writes:

John Stoffel wrote:
This was a great help, but now that we have more and more deep space
probes, and with the DSN network starting to get overloaded, how would
you make it easier to send probes so that they can do more of their
own navigation work?

Would it help to put some sort of navigation beacon on the surface of
the target planet/moon? Something that the approaching probe could
use for it's own orbital insertion maneuvers?

I think the easiest solution would be to upgrade the DSN (I.E. add
more antennas and site). It's _much_ easier to repair/replace/upgrade
the hardware than beacons located in space.

Certainly, that would be a better solution, but that's a seperate pile
of money generally. While a new beacon could just be an add-on to an
existing orbiter or other mars bound vehicle.

Well, it's just more than simply adding it on. You have to have
weight available, and volume, and power - as well as taking any
thermal implications into account, as well as the effect of the beacon
on other systems and instruments. It's not really straightforwards.

There also a matter of scope - a beacon on a Mars orbiter or lander
only helps Mars bound craft. DSN upgrades help all spacecraft and can
also be used for radio astronomy.

Now I agree that DSN should be upgraded, but how? Are lasers
effective over interplanetary distances yet? Or something in the IR
range would be better? I dunno...

Niether. Upgrading the DSN is a matter of adding dishes and a general
overhaul and upgrade of the infrastructure, not changing technologies.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL