Old December 29th 05, 08:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Getting to the Total Solar Eclipse

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:25:53 -0000, W. Watson
wrote:

I'm giving consideration to getting to the total solar eclipse this
March. Turkey, Egypt and Libya seem to be good spots, but I'd like to
make this as simple and economical as possible. It would be good to fly
directly to some city near the path from say England, probably London.
Maybe a two day visit to a place along the path with an overnight stay.
I'm completely unfamiliar with those three countries, but have traveled
to Europe several times. Alexandria looks tempting, and certainly has
historic interest. I would imagine there's some transportation to
Musaid, which is on the coast 300 miles W of Alexandria, and smack on
the path. Any suggestions?

I'll be in Side in Turkey on the 29th March. I'm staying here...
http://hemerahotel.com/engindex.html
It's a hotel popular with Germans, so high standards are guaranteed :-)

I've never been to Turkey, but have been told that Side is a decent resort
with historical value, Roman ruins in abundance.
I'm a Brit by the way and I'm flying out of London, so if you need any
help with that part of the journey then get in touch.

--
Gareth