Old December 10th 18, 03:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default 46P, can't see

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 05:23:56 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 9:13:17 PM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 23:15:38 -0000 (UTC), Mike Collins

I just found it again from my back yard. Not perfect seeing. I can just
make out the Milky Way but only one star in the bowl of USA minor is
visible. I make it out to about 8 seconds of arc.

8 _minutes_ of arc?

That's very small?
Few people here saying the comet is very large.
Maybe the brightest part, the nucleus of the comet is 8 arc minutes?

What you can see with the naked eye is 5-10 arcminutes. The actual
coma is over a half a degree, but the outer part only shows up in
images. It's too dim for the eye.

I don't know that 8 arcmin is all that small. It's the size of large
maria on the Moon.