Old August 8th 18, 12:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Discussion on sci.space.science

In article ,
says...

I've seen articles recently where NASA is apparently claiming that it
is not possible to terraform Mars. I haven't actually read the
articles to see what their reasoning is, but the only reason I can
think of is that it just won't hold enough atmosphere, no matter how
hard you shovel stuff in (which seems odd to me).

They're saying it doesn't have enough CO2 locked up at the poles that
you can liberate in order to produce enough pressure to heat up the
planet to livable levels. Their assumption, of course, is that you're
not adding any external mass to Mars. This is, IMHO, a poor assumption
given terraforming timescales.

Jeff