Old January 6th 11, 08:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 302

Arp 301 is a pair of interacting galaxies in northwestern Leo about 300
million light-years distant. The two galaxies are UGC 6204 (face on
spiral) and UGC 6207 the edge on spiral. Arp put them in is Double
Galaxy class. Looks like it could have gone in his Wind Effects class
to me. The plume on the east end of UGC 6207 that gives it that wind
blown look doesn't have that appearance in Arp's image. Arp has no
comment on this pair.

UGC 6204 is classed at NED as Sb? pec. Edge on UGC 6207 is classed as
Sb? pec one place and SBb another. Arp made no comment on these. UGC
6204 does have three interesting knots in the arm that have been created
by the interaction. The edge on also is full of blue knots. Wish we
could see it from a better angle. UGC 6204 seems to have a double core.
The SDSS sees the southwest (lower right) one as main one apparently
while everything else refers to the northeast one as listed at NED.

UGC 6207 has a blue knot just east (left) of the orange disk. The Sloan
survey gives it a separate designation listing it as a separate galaxy.
They give it a red shift that puts the object about 6 million
light-years further away than UGC 6207. I really doubt that it really
is a different object however. There is a blue, maybe fuzzy, spot at
the very end of the long tidal arm of UGC 6204 right where it begins to
overlap UGC 6207. It's hard to tell from my image or Arp's if it is a
star or star knot in UGC 6204. The Sloan image seems to show it is a
knot. It doesn't list it in any way, either as a star or part of a
galaxy. I will go out on a limb and say it is a knot below my resolution.

I've prepared an annotated image but many I'd like to have distance data
on have no red shift data at NED. There's a tight pair of apparently
interacting red galaxies a bit over 8 minutes east of Arp 302. The
western one with the plume is 2MASX J11103049+2416187 the one east and
south of it is SDSS J111031.01+241612.9 but neither have red shift data.
Further east and north is a galaxy with two wide faint spiral arms.
It is 2MASX J11104138+2417298. North of it is KUG 1108+245. This
catalog entry indicates it is an ultraviolet emitting galaxy. It is
also known as the IR source 2MASX J11104153+2418248. So it is both an
IR and UV emitting galaxy. This is interesting but again little more
data is available for either of these galaxies.

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp301.jpeg

Besides my full image I've attached a cropped version enlarged to 0.67"
per pixel and the Sloan image.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP301L4X10RGB2X10X3r.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	3293  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP301L4X10RGB2X10X3r-CROP.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	3294  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS-Arp301.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	3295